Sunday 13 December 2015

Top 10 Albums Of 2015.

I've been slacking a little in terms of music/cd reviews this year. So to make up for it, I thought it would be fun to do a list of my top ten albums released this year.
This isn't in any particular order- I would literally be here forever trying to do decide otherwise!
All photos have been found on google images.

So, lets get right on...




First up is of course, one of my first loves, Fall Out Boy!
They released American Beauty/ American Psycho at the beginning of the year, and I've been dancing around to it since. It's not my favourite of theirs -#1 will always be From Under The Cork Tree- buuuut, I definitely love it a lot.
This is slightly more pop-y than their previous records but I think it's still very much a  FOB album.
Personally, I like how far this band has developed, and I think AB/AP is perfect album to represent this.
Release Date: January 2015
Personal Favourites: "Favourite Record", "Twin Skeletons", The Kids Aren't Alright"



Someone I know from tumblr actually introduced me to Melanie Martinez a few months back, and I have literally been obsessed with her ever since! Melanie has an incredibly unique voice which gives her pop music a complete edge.
 Her debut album Cry Baby, is full of hypnotic, punch-you-in-the-gut kind of lyrics, add in her wonderfully wispy voice, and you'll be hooked.
Release Date: August 2015
Personal Favourites: "Mrs Potato Head", "Dollhouse", "Mad hatter"




I've spent the best part of 2 years now hyping Neck Deep up, and I honestly have no regrets.
These Wrexham lads just keep getting better and better.
Life's Not Out To Get You features members of A Day To Remember, and is basically the early 00's pop punk perfection that very rarely hear now. Ten years ago, I would have loved this album as much as I do today.
Also, the artwork is amazing!

Release Date: August 2015
Personal Favourites: "Kali Ma", "Smooth Seas Don't Make Good Sailors", "December"



I actually did a review for this album if you want to read in more detail. But for the short version- I Loved this album.
Since they first formed in 2003, All Time Low have grown into one of pop punk's finest bands, and are basically catchy as hell.
Future Hearts took All Time Low back to their roots and even saw them collaborate with the likes of Mark Hoppus and Joel Madden.
I feel like this is an album that has a little something for everyone whilst also securing them as pop punk royalty.
Basically, I'm very proud of these boys.

Release Date: April 2015
Personal Favourites: "Bail Me Out", "Cinderblock Garden", "Missing you"



I think it's apparent by now that The Story So Far are one of my favourite bands.
Their third album was self-titled, and it pretty much topped my hopes for it by being better than I could have ever anticipated. (maybe that's me being slightly bias though...)
This album features what TSSF are best known for- heavy music and thought provoking, passionate lyrics. This is a different breed of pop punk and these guys are all about authenticity. There's no fakeness or bull here.
P.s- Their album artwork never disappoints.

Release Date: May 2015
Personal Favourites: "Heavy Gloom", "Phantom", "Stalemate"



I got into Knuckle Puck when I saw them supporting Neck Deep at the beginning of the year, and well, I fell a little in love.
Their debut album, Copacetic, was released in the summer.  Mixing 90's emo groups with early 00's pop-punk bands, Knuckle Puck have created a raw, confident sound of their own.
Filled with emotional lyrics and some really long words, Knuckle Puck have made an incredible debut, trying new styles and ideas, whilst still staying true to their original sound. They have a lot of potential.

Release Date: July 2015
Personal Favourites: "Disdain", "Poison Pen Letter"



Over the past 18 months, State Champs have easily become one of my favourite bands. Their debut album, The Finer Things, was fantastic pop punk album, and I knew it would be hard for them to top that. Around The World And Back, however, is filled to the brim with catchy hooks, sing-along choruses and plenty of infectious melodies.
The album as a whole, is quite playful, staying true to the origins of the pop punk department. But it also has a lot of depth and dimension.
I'm not sure it quite beats The Finer Things, but they've done a hell of a job.

Release Date: October 2015
Personal Favourites: "All You Are Is History", "Shape Up", "Around The World And Back"



Halsey was in my ones to watch list back in January, and she has seriously blown up over the past twelve months.
For a debut, Badlands is an absolute monster.
Using electronics and synths similar to the likes of Lights,  and singing straightforward and honest lyrics about sex, relationships and self doubt.
At only 21 years old, Halsey is a very mature and intriguing singer/songwriter. I'm sure you'll all find something to relate to on this album.
Watch this girl- she's taking over the world.

Release Date: August 2015
Personal Favourites: "Roman Holiday", "Young God", "Colours"



I'm going to be honest, I wasn't a fan of Bring Me The Horizon back when they first came out.
Fast forward to 2015 and I'm a huge fan. (Thank 2013's Sempiternal for that) This year the band released their fifth studio album, That's The Spirit, bursting with aggression and a shiny sleekness which its predecessors lacked slightly.
This is a band that's 10 years old. They've learnt a lot along the way in creating a style of music that is thunderous and arena worthy. That's The Spirit is an album that is both of those things.

Release Date: September 2015
Personal Favourites: "Oh No", "Drown", "What You Need", "Happy Song"



As It Is was another of my ones to watch for this year. And 2015 was very good to them, with a slot on the Vans Warped Tour, tours all across the world and the release of their debut album, Never Happy, Ever After.
An album bursting at the seams with catchy, summertime anthems and relatable sing-along lyrics, it's little wonder these Brighton lads were such a big hit at Warped.
Although it is a predictable, fun filled pop punk album, As It Is have created something of a passionate and honest, yet angsty debut.  (Is angsty even a word!?) This is anything but a failure.

Release Date: April 2015
Personal Favourites: "Dial Tones", "Concrete"



Hope you all liked my top ten!
This years been pretty good for music- lets hope 2016 is just as good!
Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr
Listening to: Boston Manor- Gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment